Google paid former search executive Amit Singhal at least $35 million ($AU50 million) in an exit package when he resigned after a sexual harassment investigation, according to court documents released today.
Details of the exit package were revealed as part of a shareholder legal case against the company, one that followed a published report of payouts Google made to executives accused of sexual misconduct.
The legal case targets the board of Google parent Alphabet, claiming that its members had a duty to protect the company and its shareholders from risk and reputation damage. Instead, it says, the board agreed to pay off and otherwise support male executives facing misconduct charges — opening the company to reputational and financial damage by doing so.
Previously redacted portions of the court case were made available on Tuesday (AEST), including quotes from Alphabet board committee meetings.
One portion of the minutes showed that Mr Singhal, a senior vice president of search who left the company in 2016, received two $US15 million ($AU21 million) payments and a payment of between $US5 million to $US15 million ($AU7 million to $AU21 million) as part of a separation agreement.
The total payment could have been up to $US45 million ($AU63 million).
Mr Singhal was one subject of a New York Times investigation last year in which it was also revealed that Google paid Android creator Andy Rubin $US90 million ($AU127 million) in a severance package following allegations of sexual assault.
Mr Rubin has denied the claims.
Mr Singhal has also denied the claims against him, saying in a statement to the AP in 2017 that he had not been accused of harassment before in his 20-year career and that his decision to leave Google was his own.
Previously, The New York Times reported Mr Singhal was paid “millions” in an exit package. Mr Singhal later joined Uber, but left after just five weeks. News reports at the time said he failed to tell Uber he left Google because of a sexual harassment allegation